In the jungle you can only see the jungle squids tentacles. the squid you kill for its ink is purple a reference to the character purple tentacle from the maniac mansion game: day of the tentacle.
The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge were both written and designed by Ron Gilbert, who also worked on DeathSpank. There are a few references to the series in this game.
- On one of the Hero Cards is a character named Steve. His name and appearence resembles Stan from the Monkey Island series.
- Eubrick claims to know the Secret of Monkey Island, although DeathSpank is uninterested. The actual secret has been both speculation and a running joke in the MI games.
DeathSpank: Thongs of VirtueEdit
- One of the possible names to put on your library card is Guybrush Threepwood. The librarian remarks that it is a stupid name. Guybrush Threepwood is the main character of the Monkey Island games.
- One of the books in the library is called "The Secret of Monkey Island Finally Revealed" by Ron Gilbert.
- Additionally, both DS: TOV and MI2 have puzzles that require using library books to progress further into the game.
- One of the costumes that Madame Primp can wear is a "Rubber Chicken With a Pully in the Middle". This is an item in the first Monkey Island, and is joked about in later installments.
- A sign in Scurvyville mentions grog, a alcholic beverage preferred by pirates in the Monkey Island games.
- Conan the Barbarian: The intro of TOV depicts DeathSpank bored on a thone, much like Conan in the intros of both movies.
- Lord of the Rings: The Thongs of Virtue were created in the Fires of Bacon, and can only be destroyed by them too. This is just like the One Ring being crafted (and later destroyed) in Mount Doom.
- Saving Private Ryan: The cutscene where DeathSpank invades the North Pole is a slight parody of the intro to the film.